Saturday, July 23, 2011

On humanitarianism, following God's will and the media

I've realized, slowly, the more I make every ounce of my life God-centered, the easier it becomes, and the more HIS desires become MY desires, sometimes without my realization until after it's happened. Here's what I mean.
I love humanitarian work. While I may have certain issues with Mission 'Trips,' the humanitarian work behind it is to be greatly respected. I feel a sense of pride when I see someone I know doing something, anything, to better our world, whether locally or internationally. And while I'm always looking for ways to help, I sometimes get discouraged when the things presented to me don't seem to be 'enough' or 'important enough.' Then here's what I realized. When my heart is tuned to God, He'll provide things to do, without me even looking for them. I work at a radio station. It's my job to build newscasts, record them on-air, and sometimes write the stories. While I'm in school, the stories I write have a distinctly humanitarian-feel to them. While I'm at work, however, stories are a little more limited. This morning, while looking for stories, I came accross one about the World Food Program (WFP) and their work in Somalia. Currently, because of militants, the WFP can't reach 60 per cent of the 3.7 million Somalis in need. (Here is a link to CTV's story on it with World Vision president Dave Toycen.) To me, this is an outrage. I respect the WFP, they were a big part of the Hunger Summit I attended earlier this year, and they made a bit of a lasting impact on me. The story got put in my newscast. Then, I realized I was totally doing a God-thing while at work. I work the in media, it's my job to let people know what's going on in the work. Honestly, I basically have a say over what IS and what ISN'T important in the world and local news for the few hours I'm at work. By putting a story about the WFP and people in need, I'm doing a humanitarian act. Perhaps just one of the many people (I'm not tooting my own horn, I work at the biggest news station in the area) listening will hear it and respond with prayer, a donation, or more. All because I followed what God had put in front of me.

I had a great conversation with a friend of mine a few nights ago. We were talking about trying to follow God's will and discerning what IS, what ISN'T and how to figure out which we should choose. She repeated something a friend had told her- God gives us choices. Sometimes neither one is more right or wrong than the other, and God would likely be just as pleased with either choice. But it's up to us to CHOOSE. To just pick one and keep moving forward. The conversation was days ago, but that part is still as fresh as if she had told me just a minute ago.

So sometimes, it really is no use worrying. Sometimes it's all about that first step, and following what our heart is telling us, not just our mind. Sometimes there is more than one right answer. We just need to pick the one that means more to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment