Thursday, July 28, 2011

On Somalia, The World Food Program, and Dear0ne helping out

As some of you have heard, I’m sure, there is a food crisis in Somalia (in the Horn of Africa). While this isn’t a new crisis (they’ve experienced drought and food shortages in previous years), this one is made more aggressive by militants in the area preventing aid from getting to many of the Somalis in the area. Mothers are walking days with their children to reach camps in Kenya and Uganda, only to have their children die on the trip.

Now, from July 6th to September 12th, the Canadian Government has promised to match donations made by registered charities to help the people of Somalia. I’ve decided to support the World Food Program, as I had an opportunity to see what they do during the World Hunger Summit in Guelph, and they made a lasting impression on me. They are also dealing directly with Somalia. While I don’t think donations to the WFP count towards the gov’t program to match donations, I know my donations will be going to help those in need.

So. From now until September 12th (and maybe even later, we’ll see how God calls my heart), a portion of each sale from Dear0ne will be heading to the WFP to help with aid in the Horn of Africa.

Thanks for your support!

Check out the shop at dear0ne.etsy.com. Custom orders are also always welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment