Friday, May 18, 2012

Little Injustices

There are many large injustices that make me very angry. Greed. Poverty. Unfairness. But there are little ones too.

Like the man who stands across from the bus station every day asking people for money. To him, I have a few points to ponder.
1. Why there? Usually, if someone is using the bus, it's because they can't afford a car. The also will most likely use that change to ride the bus. So why are you more deserving of it than them?
2. What are you going to use it for? There are food banks and a soup kitchen within walking distance of where you're standing. The few pennies you get probably won't buy you much in the way of food.
3. Do something. Don't just ask people for money, offer them something. It bothers me as much as when people fundraise. Offer the people something. Give them dinner, a show, rake their lawn, bake them pies. Do a fair trade, don't just expect people to give you money.

On that note, it's also the same as OSAP. My husband and I are both students which means money is pretty much always tight. We basically live on welfare. To get a good job that you might even enjoy, you need a $4,000 + piece of paper. Doesn't matter what your marks were, just that you passed. So if you put in five hours a week or fifty, there isn't any difference between pieces of paper. If I have a 4.0, and my classmate has a 2.0, there's no difference in extra funding for the extra time and effort I've put in. Nor do purchases with these monies seem to get checked. Once, Dave and I spent almost $1,000 of my OSAP money on a camera. This year I'm shooting two weddings and have my photos in two different stores. I guess I'd call that an investment. Many of my classmates? Check some LCBO reciepts. Or new hockey gear.

I'm just frustrated by this me me me mentality. Give me things because I deserve them. Sometimes I wish I was brought up not having as much as I do. I have more than six pairs of shoes. Granted, some are for different occassions, but I have at least two or three that could be worn from late spring to late fall. Dave and I each have a computer. I have boxes. of books. Not one box, many. I have objects in my house that I never use.

I am so looking forward to downsizing and getting rid of stuff I don't absolutely love. Some has to stay for now, as while we're in this scenario it is needed. But my, am I excited to get rid of the stuff that isn't needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment